We are seeking a skilled Technical Animator to help further develop our animation pipeline. The focus of this position will be on runtime animation integration and animation handling in the pipeline.
You will work with animators to develop blend graphs that produce smooth, AAA quality animation, seamlessly combining animated motion with various runtime input sources. You’ll help define animation related workflows and systems, and you’ll assist animators in all technical aspects of animation production. Working with multiple disciplines to identify effective solutions, you will serve as a communicator with the goal of ensuring all involved parties have a common understanding of the system and our shared goals.
Preference will be given to candidates who have experience writing animation authoring tools (in Max, Maya, etc.), though this is not the primary area of coverage. If you have experience programming in any form, this is a huge plus. If you have experience with MOCAP that is also beneficial. If you are technical, highly motivated, and passionate about animation, please apply for this position.
The preferred location for this role is Hunt Valley, MD, Austin, TX, Madison, WI, San Diego, CA, or Seattle, WA. Will consider remote.
- Work closely with Animation, Design, and Engineering to develop the means by which these groups interact with animation data
- Play a positive, proactive role in communication between all involved departments
- Advocate for Animation while maintaining attention to performance issues
- Provide ongoing support and training to Animation throughout production cycle
- Communicate, promote, and document animation related processes and best practices
- Help to identify tools that will make managing large amounts of animation possible
- 5 or more years of industry experience
- 3-5 years of runtime animation system experience (can overlap with industry experience)
- Professional experience working with 2 or more animation pipelines
- A Bachelor’s degree in an art-related discipline
- Strong technical skillset and a love for being hands-on
- Strong understanding of kinematics and eye for animation
- Experience with runtime animation tools, techniques, and capabilities (Unity, Havok Behavior, Natural Motion, or proprietary, etc.)
- Familiarity with rigging
- Some familiarity with MOCAP workflows
- Understand differences between production and runtime animation requirements and data
- Clear, demonstrable understanding of animation data and how it moves through the pipeline
- Self-sufficient, motivated, and independent
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Familiarity with common data formats: XML/JSON/etc.
- Familiarity with common 3D data formats: HVK/GR2/OBJ/FBX/ALEMBIC/etc.
Portfolio: Please include links to your work and clearly indicate your contributions. Resumes without work samples will not be considered.
- Some understanding of shaders
- Any programming experience
- Experience with special effects and non-character animation
- General interest in contemporary CGI techniques
Technical Animator - The typical base pay range for this position at the start of employment is expected to be between $55,000 - $140,000 per year.
ZeniMax has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role; the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At ZeniMax certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, such as merit increases and discretionary bonuses. These awards are allocated based on individual performance and are not guaranteed. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with ZeniMax and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation time, paid sick and mental health time, and several paid holidays, among others.
Join a great team and start your massively multiplayer career with us!
ZENIMAX ONLINE STUDIOS is hiring for The Elder Scrolls® Online and an all-new AAA project. If you have a desire to make great games and wish to join a diverse, growing studio, check out our Careers page to see if there’s a role for you. Welcome to ZOS!